Hi Jackie
All the progesterone-only contraceptives are safe to use while breastfeeding; ie the breastfeeding baby will apparently not be adversely affected.
However, some mothers are more sensitive to progesterone than others, and these mothers may find they have a small to marked decrease in milk supply. All of the progesterone-only contraceptives, to the best of my knowledge, categorically say that they should not be started before 6 weeks postpartum. I know that many doctors will start them earlier, but this does put breastmilk supply at greater risk of being affected. I personally think that starting breastfeeding mothers on a contraceptive so early (ie before leaving hospital most of the time) is very paternalistic .. ie. "She can't be trusted to return at 6 weeks to get her contraception sorted out. I'll have to fix her up now!"
And.... the fall in progesterone that happens when the placenta is delivered is what is essential for lactogenesis II to occur. With early discharge and the big imperative to do everything before she leaves I wonder how often breastfeeding is actually being adversely affected.

Implanon probably isn't too bad because it can be removed fairly simply if this mother does find her supply is diminished. Injectables such as Depo provera are a big problem though, because there's no going back.
The best advice is to start on the mini-pill. If there is no diminished supply from that after a couple of months, then go to the slow-release contraceptives.

With exclusive breastfeeding and no return of menses the risk of getting pregnant while using no other form of contraception during the first 6 months post partum is exactly the same as it is when using the progesterone-only pill.

BTW is implanon now approved in Australia for breastfeeding mothers??