wow! where does that 10 % risk of uterine puncture come from - insertion technique? One of my daughters uses the Mirena and after years of painful periods with the other IUD is very thrilled with the Mirena, she also cannot use other hormonal contraceptives, but thought the Mirena was worth trying as the progesterone is thought to act only locally on the uterine lining and not be systemic. apparently this is so as she has experienced only good side effects.
marilyn
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] implanon and breastfeeding

Yes it was in my arm. LIfe is 3 years. I gave it a year before I decided to have it removed due to side effects (very long, frequent, heavy menses. I was having a 10-12 day period, a 3 day gap, andother 10-12 day period a 5 day gap and then the cycle began again. Certainly very effective contraception!)

In my case, once it was removed, the Mirena was recommended. But my gyn gave me a 10% risk of uterine puncture, which made me decide against it. Oral contraceptives are not an option for me, which is serously narrowing the choices. That vasectomy is looking good!

Kate