Hi Monica

Would love to chat off list as to where this is and how MC can support you
and hopefully line up some consumers!

Although our work with MC does not touch the professional issues of midwives
and we work closely with ACMI as a former trade union official I am very
concerned at the pay structure for caseload (the loading is simply not
enough).  If a caseload model is not met with medical interference and
midwives deal solely with the majority of births they should they will be
saving the health system (state and fed) many many millions of dollars. To
my mind caseload midwives should be paid per birth (this can be annualised).

Midwives should be paid around $3,000 per birth which makes a caseload of 40
/annum worth $120,000.  I think that for this money they may be providing
their own vehicle etc.  This could happen, or there could be a reduction for
a vehicle and mobile etc.  None the less caseload care should be remunerated
appropriately.

I think the NSW Nurses Association would be very interested in the 24/7 on
call!  It seems a group practice of 3 enables considerable continuity with
on-call relief.

Can we talk further?

Kind regards

Justine

Justine Caines
National President  Maternity Coalition Inc
PO Box 105
MERRIWA  NSW  2329
Ph: (02) 65482248
Fax: (02)65482902