Mary can please email me off the list at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks

----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Doyle
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Problems With new Models

Dear Andrea and others,

We too have received funding for a great continuity of care model, despite small numbers of women. Negativity abounds however and many of our current midwives however are loathe to change their current ' 8 hour shift' status because 1) they have been doing it this way for 10 or 20 years, 2) they are not prepared to give up their lives for being 'on-call'   3) many are nearing retirement age (me included)   4) they are not confident in doing antenatal care    5) (most importantly) They have never had the wonderful pleasure of doing true 'continuity of care'!!!
We have yet to formally approach the recruitment of midwives for the team, and I see lots of head-bashing in the meantime. I will however continue to try for the sake of the mother and fathers to be, and for the midwives that will follow on in the future. They will learn that this is the only way to go, and 8 hour shifts in caring for women are long gone!
Mary Doyle
Alpine Health