I remember asking Anne Frye what she thought about this and she said "Second
stage heart tones are the insanity of N. American midwives".  It is completely
disruptive of the trance state in second stage to be poking at the mother with
a fetoscope.  In a woman with normal BP, cephalic presentation of a full term
infant and clear amniotic fluid (or intact membranes), the mw can relax.  That
baby got conceived, grew to 9 mos gestation without constant monitoring, and
can now push it's little self out without being listened to q 5 min.  Gloria