I agree Megan, but sadly we have had these wonderful experiences due to
independent midwifery and homebirth.

I can see how so many men (even the good one's!) would be traumatised by
birth within the system and see it as such a gruesome event.

Long before I had children I worked in a large Gov Department and at a
morning tea to celebrate a colleagues first baby he recounted the story.  He
was a bit of a pig but his opening words were "Picture it, a
slaughterhouse.."

A close friend of my husband recounts the birth of their first child,
episiotomy and forceps as the "most brutal, gross thing he has ever seen"

He seems to place his wife as part of this.  He refuses to understand how
Paul's experience has been one of beauty, amazement, respect and a deepening
of our relationship (and before marriage and children they were similar type
blokes).

So other than the type of birth what was the difference?  The education and
the support and the TRUST, through the model of care (we had HB's they had
Priv Ob/hosp).  My husband trusted our known carer, he believed in me and we
were rewarded greatly for taking responsibility rather than abdicating one
of the most crucial human experiences to a virtual stranger.

So while 99% of men witness the  birth of their children in a hosp setting
sharing a most intimate moment (yes so similar to sex) amongst strangers and
enduring a raft of unnecessary interventions (some plain barbaric) then is
there any wonder men feel they were at the 'wrong end of the bed'.

To me this is why it is so hard for people to accept that birth can be
beautiful when their experience has been so different.

Justine
Mum to 4 home born children, hubby caught 3 and held me for number 4!

Looking forward (well trying) to catch one of the next 2 myself!