I tend to agree with you Sally!
I would be interested to read the ACMI's ratiionale behind credentialling for midwives. I too believe that a qualified midwife should be fully capable and responsible to care for normal pregnancy and birth. I guess it comes back to old arguement: " A midwife is a midwife" or alternately: "When is a midwife not a midwife?"
Leanne.

From: "Sally Westbury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] NSW news
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:04:50 +0800

Sheesh..

The old credentialing crap. Midwives do not need to be credentialed to
provide care for low risk women. That is what we are trained to do.
Credentialing should be for things that are outside the scope of normal
midwifery care. Things like epidurals, interpreting electronic fetal
monitoring, induction of labour etc.

This drives me crazy!!!!

Sally Westbury

Homebirth Midwife

"Learn from mothers and babies; every one of them has a unique story to
tell. Look for wisdom in the humblest places - that's usually where
you'll find it."

- Lois Wilson

Leanne Wynne
Midwife in charge of "Women's Business"
Mildura Aboriginal Health Service  Mob 0418 371862