Dear all
Jan has summed it up in a nutshell  - both the discrepancies and the reasons why many home births go unreported......  we  did a 'run' with the national data a couple of months ago  - and we were surprised to find an even greater difference than this one you report Jan. The most difficult thing is to reconcile the BD&M data with the perinatal data  - because there is such a long lead time between when the baby is born and when parents have to register the birth (ie five years).
I agree with many of the midwives who do not risk disclosure........until we are convinced there will be no burning at the stake.......everyone is much safer staying silent.
There is SUCH a need for genuine  recognition for what midwives do. We are too  vulnerable  at present to risk being noticed in many ways....... look at the flak we have received from RANCIDCOG and the AMA for example when we've tried to offer an evidence based midwifery service. We continue to jump through every conceivable hoop  - but the power is with the money , and until we have legislative rights , and more importantly , until WOMEN have rights to seek the sort of care they believe to be best for them and their babies, we will have to remian  silent  (and strong!)
Sally T.

Jan Robinson wrote:
Hi Andrea
Yes it is a huge discrepancy but the law only relates to births attended by registered doctors or midwives. Registered health professionals have an obligation to report the details of each birth they attend whether they occur at home or in a hospital. They have to provide the NOTIFICATION OF BIRTH to BD&M and submit the perinatal data to the appropriate department of their Dept of Health. It is the parents responsibility to register the birth of their child.

I assume that MOST of the unreported home births are that way because lay people would be unaware of their state laws.
Individuals who are aware of the laws also understand that if they DO report any births that they attend also run the risk of "holding themselves out to be a midwife" and that is PUNISHABLE by law.

It would be interesting for midwives to approach their own state/territory Dept of BD&M as to the number of babies registered as being born at their home address and then get the figures from the perinatal data collections to compare.
Anyone want to get cracking in their state? I'd love to get data from around the country. I have some Tasmanian figures and I have some from Victoria but they are not as easy to interpret as the NSW data.

At the moment we are using the NSW figures to try and convince the Health Minister to publicly fund the home births and therefore provide a legitimate choice of skilled home birth practitioner for ALL women wanting a home birth.

Cheers
Jan

Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au