Hi Julie,
I have been doing a bit of bellydancing for 6 years and I
believe my back is a lot stronger for it. I don't get anywhere
near the amount of low back pain I used to get. More fun than
formal exercise too.
Are you protecting your back by trying to stay at the same level
with the woman by sitting on the floor or a foot stool?
Don't forget to make sure your abdominals are strong enough to
support your back also. Bellydancing will help there too. Or do
a few crunches (not situps).
Cheers
Judy