Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] prison birthing

Hi Amy,
The women who birth at our hospital from the local minimum security prison are not guarded. They are visited once a day, and have to sign a form. Some of them love being in hospital, because it is a more normal environment for their children to visit. Some will try to stay longer for this reason. I find the whole thing heartbreaking.  They can keep children with them up until age four. They are usually housed with other women who have children in the prison.
Regards,
Nicole.