Title: RE: [ozmidwifery] Re: diabetes incipidus and breastfeeding

Hi Barb,
I seem to remember something in my ICU days, another life. Sheenans Syndrome- necrosis of the anterior piturity lobe usually due to severe haemorrage. APL secretes TSH, ACTH, gonadotrophins, growth hormone, prolactin, lipotrophin and MSH.

 The posterior lobe of the piturity  secretes vasopressin and oxytocin

I have just read my ICU text (pg 451- 457 Intensive Care Manual 4th ed by T.E. Oh) and I will quote parts
DI = results from a lack of ADH anti-diuretic hormone
ADH = a nonapeptide is synthesised in neurones of the hypothalmus. It has some structural and some functional similarities to oxytocin.

Actions of ADH  = antidiuresis, vasoconstriction, coagulation, affects learning, memory and water permeability of the brain.

The enlarged piturity that occurs with pregnancy maybe more vulnerable to vasospasm. The first sign of DI maybe an inability to lactate.

You can have a transient DI of pregnancy = vasopressin-resistant caused by excessive placental-generated vasopressinase that metabolises ADH. Associated with acute fatty liver and liver failure.

From a hazy memory as I only saw about 3 women post partum in my near decade in a Tertiary ICU I cannot recall them being able to lactate in acute stage. I do know with proper management sniffing vasopressin and other hormones their condition improves or stabilises. With males I mainly saw them have transphenoidal resection of the pituitary.

Very rare, thanks for the question as it made me look at my books.
Cheers Barb