Hi Pete
This will involve a long discussion. Could you phone me at work on 07 5450 4359, or on my mobile 0428 105 237, and I can explain in detail what we do, what has worked etc, what has challenged us etc. It's a long but interesting story! I look forward to chatting.
Regards, Lynne
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:39 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] public-private birth centres

Thanks guys for your comments so far, the Dr who is making the
proposition is definitely one of the lower interventionist ones around
these parts and he supports most of the local women who choose to have a
homebirth.  When I asked him how he thought it might work he didn't
really seem to have much of an idea which leaves it pretty open to come
up with our unique model.  I will be pushing for visiting rights for
independent midwives but am sure the insurance (lack there of) will be
raised before too long.  Lynne as you mention 'caseload' would be my
preferred option but at the end of the day if this increases the choice
for some women then it will be great because to be honest there is no
choice at the moment here in the south west of WA.  Unfortunately
numbers will be an issue realistically we can probably only aim for
around 100 births a year and that means staffing will be an issue
because it will not be able to have staff on 24 hour basis.  From my
experience you need to be booking around 500 and have at least 350
births a year to justify a full complement of staff around 12-13 full
time equivalents.  Lynne with the private patients are they assigned a
midwife and then does the women negotiate with that midwife to have
antenatal care as well as their OB and would that woman try to be there
for the birth or is dependent on what committment the midwife can make
to the woman and in your clinics how do the women pay if they just see a
midwife, does the hospital itself bill them and then they get the monies
back off their health fund or does the OB have to be involved in the
clinics.
Yours in midwifery

Pete Malavisi