I was 'lucky' to experience mastitis 1st hand with bub at 7 mths.  I did hot packs & massage before and during feeds, and did ice packs on/off afterwards.  I also pumped the breast inbetween feeds, and took Phytolacca 30 homeopathic throughout the day.  AT night I took 2 panadol ( I had fever, chills and felt deadly!!) and went to bed.  I was right as rein in the morning and very proud that I avoided anything more dramatic such as AB etc..

From: "Mary Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Mastitis question
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:57:04 +0800

I usually advise clients to the old adage “heat, rest, empty the breast” plus cabbage leaves plus or minus homeopathic Brauer’s  Antinplex (“anti-inflamation”)  or belladonna 6c. Usually correct positioning and free access to the breast = no mastitis, however some women do have problems and I usually look deeper then.  This has to be handled very carefully and even if I suspect underlying baggage I may not bring it up. MM

Vitamin C (and/or homeopathics) would be my first choice before anitbiotics.

Here's how I heard about it from a friend:

"A trick my midwife taught me for plugged ducts is to up your vitamin c. If you're just
getting "sore" - and not a full fledged infection just taking 1000mg
for a few days would be enough. If you get an infection take 4000mg
of vit c and then 1000 every day for 7 days AFTER the infection is
gone. Works beautifully."

And it has worked wonderfully for me. I did take antibiotics (x2) when my 2nd daughter was a couple of weeks old and wish I had known about this then. With my 3rd daughter I used vitamin C only and it cleared it up quickly. Always would flare up on the days I had to walk daughter number 1 to school (overdoing it!).

Cheers,

Lea Mason, AAHCC
Certified Bradley® Natural Childbirth Educator & Labour Support Professional
http://www.birthsteps.com.au