Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Birth Centres in West NSW?

Jo is right, I too have supported at several hospitals over nearly 20 years and I am “breath-taken” at the wonderful attitude of the midwives and doctors at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital at Camperdown – perhaps this is as a result of tv cameras on site from time to time – I don’t know why they are just exceptional with their care and respect.

I was in there a couple of months ago with a woman who was not progressing past 8-9 cms and the midwife contacted the doctor and my heart sank and I thought “Oh great I wonder what awful things are going to be said to her now” but I was completely wrong – the doctor was very kind, gentle, caring, completely empathetic and very motivated to keep the birth as normal as possible – gave great insights and suggestions and respected the women’s wishes entirely – I know it’s sad that I was so surprised by this because I certainly have not seen it to this extent before – anyway we needed more intervention and transfer etc and the rest of the midwives and doctors in the delivery suite where equally and genuinely caring.

I was very pleased for the woman that although her journey did not take her where she wanted to go she was exceptionally well cared for and I consider this to be an important factor in reducing the risk of PND for her.

Yes I would also encourage women to travel the distance they need to for such professional care.

Waterbirth is an option in the delivery suite as well as the birth centre – all the staff are trained and competent with waterbirth it’s not Russian roulette at RPA.

Warm hug

Julie

Julie Clarke

Independent Childbirth and Parenting Educator

HypnoBirthing (R) Practitioner

ACE Grad Dip Supervisor

NACE Advanced Educator and Trainer

NACE National Journal Editor