Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 11:07 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Introducing solids too early

Hi all,
Maureen Minchin has a couple of books that would be useful on this topic. One is Breastfeeding Matters, 1998, Alma Publications. Alma Publications is Maureen's own business. The address is 14 Acland St, St Kilda or 6 Thear St, East Geelong.  Phone 03 95372640. The name of the other escapes me (if you ring Alma Publications you will have no problems getting it) but is entirely to do with food allergy. Maureen became an expert in this field after having a son with dreadful allergies. Part of the problem was an early comp feed given without Maureen's knowledge, much less permission. She only found out because she also worked at the hospital where she gave birth, and one of her colleagues remembered giving him a comp. In those days that was not unusual.
Another issue is babies with supposed reflux being given thickeners or even thickened formula despite being a breastfed baby. I came across this in a ten day old baby, who did not have reflux, but the woman's friend gave her the thickener that she had herself. Needless to say, supply was not good, and breastfeeding did not last much longer.
:( Nicole.