I did it personally and didnt tear, and 3 couples I have worked with prenatally also did it and didnt tear.  I always recommend it - from 36 weeks, 1-2 x day, 5x week, for 5minutes each time.

I also let them know the others factors that prevent tearing too (position, pushing when body tells you too, hands off etc)

hth..

From: "Helen and Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "ozmidwifery" <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Perineal massage
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:57:01 +1000

Just wondering whether everyone is recommending perineal massage antenatally as a way of reducing the risk of tearing?  I have read research to suggest it has been effective so I have just started to tell women about it.  I also am careful to say that it may not work but there is no harm in trying.  I remember it was bandied around years ago but there wasn't any research to support it's effectiveness back then.

What are your thoughts

Helen

-- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or unsubscribe.