I've seen a great deal of discussion among birthing women on perineal massage and probably equal numbers who did it have torn and not torn. There are so many other factors at play - position, coached pushing, speed of birth - and one important one is a propensity to tearing. Some women tear, most don't under the best possible circumstances and some seem to always tear no matter what. I have seen it be very helpful to women with massive thickened scars from perineal trauma caused by episiotomy who have subsequently birthed over an intact peri. A JB mama had a baby with a compound arm in the RWH BC here in Melbourne - epis, 4th degree damage, surgery, 12 hours till she met her daughter, 2 years physical and emotional recovery. Second child recently birthed at home, also waving as she came out - intact peri! Obviously management was the key for her!
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:57 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Perineal massage

Just wondering whether everyone is recommending perineal massage antenatally as a way of reducing the risk of tearing?  I have read research to suggest it has been effective so I have just started to tell women about it.  I also am careful to say that it may not work but there is no harm in trying.  I remember it was bandied around years ago but there wasn't any research to support it's effectiveness back then.

What are your thoughts

Helen