Hi Sadie,

Yes it was a generalised comment and a bit vague.

The rates for medical intervention (inductions, ARM, augmentation, pethidine, nitrous oxide) are all very similar in the UK as they are in Australia, as are forceps, ventous, episiotomy and caesarean. Given that most women giving birth in the UK are cared for through the NHS and that their primary care giver will be a midwife, these high rates of interventions suggest to me that midwives are responsible for a lot of unnecessary intervention.

We know from Sally Tracy's work on Australia that our rates of interventions are largely driven by the high private obstetric component, which is not an issue in the UK. Therefore, it seems to me that midwives in the UK are still being controlled by obstetrics (even if at arm's length through the doctor's control of bodies such as NICE)

I have met very few midwives (fingers of one hand???) in the UK that feel comfortable with the idea of facilitating a birth without any drugs whatsoever - even at home births and for water births Entonox is freely used, for example. There is a different culture operating in Britain - one where women (pregnant and care givers) feel that women can't labour without "a little something". I find it all very interesting and rather depressing.

I wrote something about this in my latest Diary entry: http://www.birthinternational.com/diary/index.html

Midwifery is under a lot of stress everywhere and clearly in danger of being suborned by the medical model unless we are very careful.

Regards,

Andrea