Title: Message
Brenda you make some interesting points; so is what we aspire to in high rates of mdiwfery care caused by an inability by women to get other options in care - this is outrageous, no different really to the system we have now where womens choices are limited.
There seems to be huge issues with a lack of understanding between different health professioanls in who is repsonsible for what when a midwife admits a woman to a hospital. In some of the reports I have read about adverse outcomes,lack of role understanding coupled with a lack of collaboration and communication can play big roles when things go pear shaped. Scary stuff really! Lisa
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of brendamanning
Sent: Friday, 7 July 2006 8:54 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] NZ stats

BEWARE: REALITY CHECK:

I don't want to disillusion alot of you but a reality check is way overdue about what's going on across the Tasman.

The saying: 'Be careful what you wish for.............................' is very applicable here.

What MW have gained in autonomy, they have lost in the respect of their professional colleagues, the community & women generally. The whole maternity system has an 'uncomfortable feeling'.

I've thought alot before writing this all down, not wanting to 'upset' people, & of course it grieves me because it's my home & I'd love to be there !!
SO here goes: this is looking at the situation without the 'rose tinted spectacles'. But of course it's generalising in some aspects.

As a Kiwi who spends time every year in NZ & came through the changes seeing the system evolve there, I feel I really need to say that Aust would not be doing it's women a service to emulate the system EXACTLY as it is implemented there. It may appear idyllic but it isn't, and not a day goes by that there's not an article in some newspaper there decrying Midwives (they are NOT popular
politically & have created alot of emnity & alienated health professionals with whom we would much rather have collaborative practice) . There is a national midwifery shortage, the same as here & because of the way the system is set up there large areas of the country have women with reduced
choices in pregnancy care, not enhanced.

I specifically went to the Manawatu, Wairarapa & Horewhenua districts looking to relocate there 6 months ago. I go every year with the same intention ie checking out the system & the situation. This year I spoke to all Pg women I saw, esp around Carterton, Greytown for those of you that know the area (because my elderly parents live in Upper Hutt & I wanted to be close).

In Martinborough alone, (a small rural town), I saw 6 Pg women in the street over the space of an hour & each one was birthing either in Levin or Hutt Hospital (ie 1 hour drive North, or South through the Rimutuka ranges, ie narrow & windy as hell, icy & sometimes closed in winter ! ). There was no MW in their community, they were totally horrified at the thought of birth at home & they had reduced options because the GPs have been 'squeezed' out of providing maternity care. I spoke with a group of IP in Levin & they are overwhelmed & understaffed, travelling alot of mileage over narrow windy roads to clinic. The majority of their births are in hospital & they (the IPs) are turning women away because they are overbooked.
One woman in Wellington tried 13 MW before she found 1 as her LMC !

I was offered 10 jobs in 1 week !

There are few private maternity hospitals there.

I also have a very close friend in the outer Auckland region who keeps me up to date with cuttings, emails etc. There is alot of general dissatisfaction there with the whole system too.

There are alot of IPs who have 'burned out' & returned to the hospital system over the last 4 years overwhelmed by work & commitment to on call 24/7 because the women have no other options for local care !

The system is not one to emulate here.
Surely we want more choice for women, not less, and we certainly don't want to alienate our professional colleagues who we need to be working WITH, not AGAINST.

I really believe that Aust MW need to look more closely at the system in NZ before holding it up as a model of care they aspire to. It needs alot of 'tweaking' to make it ideal.  I love NZ, but in this arena it's not perfect & I think MW need to look very closely at the big picture.

Off the soapbox now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With kind regards
Brenda Manning
www.themidwife.com.au