Hospital pharmacy’s would be able to tell you and they are easy to contact.  I am not sure where you are but the pharmacy at Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Adelaide are very helpful.  (08) 8161 7222 is the direct number for the Drugs in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding information that can be accessed by anyone.

Christine

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Mary Murphy
Sent: 04 September 2006 07:39
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Synto question

According to the box, Syntocinon and syntometrine should be stored at between 2-8 degrees C.  Leaving it out of the fridge in room temperature for short periods of time should not affect it, but the best people to ask are the distributors,  Look on the box for details.  MM

Just a quick question.... does anyone know how long Syntocinon can be out of refrigeration before it starts loosing its effectiveness?  Where I am working at the moment there are an amazing number of PPH's, and also the common practice of drawing up the synto and having it ready often hours before the birth.

 Aside from all the other medical intervention which would contribute to PPH, if controlled cord traction is started after a dose of ineffective synto, it's probably contributing to the PPH's.

Cheers

Michelle

On Yahoo!7
Photos: Unlimited free storage – keep all your photos in one place!