My advice from one lawyer is not to have to sets of insurers  as if you get sued then you have two insurance companies fighting about who is responsible which makes the whole issue much bigger than if only one, those midwives who are employed are covered by their employer.  Hospital employed midwives may need insurance to help protect their professional reputation but it could be detrimental to them to have this insurance as well for their work done for their employers.

Christine

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Tania Smallwood
Sent: 05 September 2006 18:57
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Fw: PI Insurance - urgent - more interested midwives needed

Andrea said…“I dont think you will get midwives who only work in hospital to be interested even though I think they should be”

I think this is a key quote that also deserves some discussion…whilst on one hand we are all fighting for recognition as a profession separate to nursing, and we want to be seen as a united front to further the campaign for improving maternity services throughout Australia, on the other hand we are pursuing an insurance offer that yet again divides us as a profession.  Nicky Leap said…a midwife is a midwife is a midwife…???  I feel like this quest for insurance that is specific to IPM’s could be seen by midwives, the AMA, politicians, and most importantly women, as a divisive move, and I don’t think ultimately it can benefit us in our quest to improve the public persona of the midwife.

I really want to have access to insurance, not be forced into having it.  I want to be able to purchase insurance that will cover me for any activities I take in the name of midwifery, in or out of the hospital setting, where I am being paid a wage, or where I am donating my time.  In my wildest dreams I’d like to think that every midwife working anywhere as a midwife would consider it a string to his or her professional bow to be insured as well as registered.  That’s something that they have done in NZ, attach the insurance to the membership of the professional body, the NZCOM, and membership of the body is a necessary step to obtaining registration as a midwife.  That way, all midwives are members of the professional body, and all midwives are insured.  I know that’s a simplistic way of looking at it, but it really worries me that we are getting caught up in something that perpetuates an us and them attitude that has already gone on for too long…

Tania