Tia
My Pharmacology for midwives makes no mention of this. However, as a young student midwife I do remember one obs. used to use bronchodilators something like 5 puffs one after the other to ' relax the cervix' to help in removal of retained placentas. To be honest it is too long ago for me to remember how effective this was.
Shelly (Midwife England)
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:28 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] asthma in labour

Hi all,
can bronchodilators, particularly ventolin, for severe asthma cause labour to slow or stall? Would it's action of relaxing smooth muscle have this effect on the uterus or is an inhaled drug (even in strong doses) too little entering the bloodstream for an effect?
TIA.
For home birth information go to:
Joyous Birth
Australian home birth network and forums.
http://www.joyousbirth.info/
Or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.