  From: Kylie Carberry
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 10:09 AM
  Subject: [ozmidwifery] breastfeeding as contraception

  I am doing a story on contraception for a pareting magazine. I want to state
that the WHO confirmed breastfeeding as 98 per cent effective means of birth
control for the first six months   provided the baby was fully breasfed and
periods have not commenced. So as far as the 'fully' part goes, how is that
interpreted. My friend thought she was fully breastfeeding, however, her twin
boys were sleeping 8 hours at night and thus she became pregnant when they were
four months old. So does fully mean no less than four-hourly feeds. Or should
women just take added precautions if they are not up for any little surprises.

  thanks in advance

  Kylie Carberry
  Freelance Journalist
  p: +61 2 42970115
  m: +61 2 418220638
  f: +61 2 42970747
  -- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or
unsubscribe.