Hi,

I don't think Lactational Amenorrhea is as risky or tricky as Janet said. From
"Breastfeeding Management" (Brodribb)"In 1988 the World Health Organisation and
other interested parties formulated a concensus statement about the conditions
under which Lactation provides an effective and safe form of contraception.
Known as the Bellagio Concensus, it states that if a woman is fully or nearly
fully breastfeeding, is amenorrhoeic and is less than 6 mnths postpartum she is
98% protected from pregnancy."

Since that time, studies in Australia, Chile, the Phillippines, Pakistan and
the USA have confirmed this concensus, often showing failure rates of lower
than the two percent quoted.  Thus, this applies in the developed as well as
developing countries and in well nourished women.  A further conference in
Bellagio in 1995 confirmed the original findings and concluded that.
"Wheras amenorrheoea is an absolute requirement for ensuring a low risk of
pregnancy, it might be possible to relax or break the requirement of full or
nearly full breastfeeding.  It may also be possible to extend the duration of
use beyond 6 mnths."

Kylie, please don't write an article that makes breastfeeding as a form or
contraception seem unreliable, silly or so difficult to comply with that it
would be impossible to use. (not that it sounds in any way like you would - but
that is the tone often in such articles.)

While the 2% are very vocal when they become pregnant, my observances are that
Lactational Amenhorrea is extremely reliable.  The thing to remember is that
once your period is back all bets are off. (if under 6 mnths.)

While this whole story demonstrates that the plural of "stories" is not "data"
I returned to full time work when my son was 6 weeks old, and remained
amenhorreac until he was 15mths, whereupon I had one period and then got
pregnant with my 2nd.

Barb