Hi Sue
On annual leave so dont have all my reference material.... but from what I
do have, it is possible to breastfeed whilst on Lithium as long as the
infant is monitored closely for signs of toxicity as lithium passes into
breastmilk. Monitoring would include behavioural and chemical changes. If
infant lithium become an issue, then use of milk banking  from donors is a
helpful alternative until levels settle. From memory, Lithium does not seem
to interfere with the onset and maintenance of lactation so comp feeding
should not be needed and will only interfere with continuation of supply.
Hale in 'Medications & Mothers Milk, 2002' places Lithium  during pregnancy
at a Category D risk- where there is positive evidence of fetal risk, but
benefits to the mother may be acceptable despite the risk and for lactation
at a L4 risk - where there is positive evidence of risk to the breastfed
infant but benefits from use in the mother may be acceptable despite infant
risk. He also states that current published and unpublished experience
suggest that infant plasma levels rise to about 30-40% of maternal levels,
mostly without untoward effects in the infant. He suggest that Lithium does
not reach steady state levels for approximately 10 days and that it may be
of benefit to wait this long prior to evaluating infant levels (unless
symptoms appear earlier). He also reminds clinicians that Lithium has been
shown to interfere with thyroxine production and periodic thyroid function
evaluation are suggested

Hope this is helpful
Cheers
Alesa