Hi Michelle, Jo and Kristin,

I would expect there to be a co-relation between maternal nutrition and
strength or thickness of membranous sac, because in every other respect what
a woman eats, drinks, smokes etc will impact on her tissue so it stands to
reason doesn't it, though I don't recall seeing any scientific evidence on
this previously, but I remember being told by an experienced homebirth
midwife years ago that if a woman has a high vitamin C content in her diet
then it's likely her membranes will be tough.

Other aspects of a woman's environment will have an influence too, on how
readily the membranes rupture such as intensity of contractions during
labour or perhaps pre-labour if infection is present this is linked to
weakening/rupturing the membranes.

I'd say like most things it's a multi-faceted situation.

Kristin, from a naturopathic point of view. what sorts of things will
strengthen mucous membrane tissue?

Warm hug

Julie

Julie Clarke