Totally agree Michelle.  I am still adjusting.  Up there they teach you more
about BF than you could ever learn in a textbook!

Helen
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michelle Windsor
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 11:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] co-sleeping

  There's no doubt that co-sleeping is the norm for indigenous women.  In my
experience the baby is either in bed with the mother, or on the breast.  Often
the aboriginal women would be puzzled as to why the other (ie white) babies
were crying.  It was a bit of an adjustment coming back to work in a mostly
caucasian setting where distressed mothers and crying babies seem to be the
norm (especially at night).  As far as instinctive mothering goes, I think we
can learn alot from the indigenous women.

  Cheers
  Michelle