  From: Pinky McKay
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 10:35 AM
  Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Reflux

  Helen - I tend to agree - I see many babies who have been 'diagnosed'with
reflux - I heard a paed speak ( sorry cant remember his name) who said it was
more to do with anxiety/ lack of attunement than a 'stomach' condition -I
wouldnt blame parents though as anyone with an unsettled baby would be anxious/
vicious cycle. I have though seen babies settle "miraculously' after a little
work with parents - teaching baby massage is a very non-intrusive/ non
"blaming" way to help parents become confident at attuning with baby non-verbal
cues and thus responding appropriately; also if they do a few tangible things
like positioning babies - ie head elevated - I show a lovely position with a
pillow between parents bent legs( feet together, knees open, with pillow
resting on parents feet), baby facing parent, so baby and parent make good eye
contact - babies seem to stop grizzling straight away - and colic holds ;
'colic' massage -I too am a bit sceptical about all the 'wind' that seems to be
around; plus a few changes to mums diet ( wonder if some of this is allergies/
food sensitivity - mums tend to fill up on chocolate when they feel stressed
with unsettled bubs) and within days babies are much better.

  perhaps having a label takes away the blame aspect that parents are doing
something wrong - I also see babies for whom meds make no difference - eg one
this week diagnosed with 'reflux' -I suggested a really good paediatric chiro
locally - bub had been breech ( vag birth) and turned out he had a shoulder
dislocated - mum also eating loads of dairy. Bub was much calmer after his
shoulder was fixed, relaxed and took a full massage that afternoon - the
previous session he cried so much he couldnt be massaged at all.

  I wonder if the 'overdiagnosis' of reflux is a treatment of symptoms not a
look at what could be causing the crying and /or vomiting.

  Pinky