Hi Paul,

I think many of us had that same fight. I've given up on finding out
why, although I caught it once and then forgot how it went again.
(I do remember that it had something to do with virtual path within
virtual path etc..)

Nowadays I solve it this way:

<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/";>

  <Module Url="_catalogs/masterpage" Name="PublishingPages" Path="">

       <File Url=" ContentSummary.aspx" Type="GhostableInLibrary"
IgnoreIfAlreadyExists="TRUE">

              <Property Name="MasterPageDescription"
Value="ContentSummary page layout" />

              <Property Name="Title" Value="ContentSummary" />

              <Property Name="PublishingPreviewImage"
Value="/_layouts/yourSubFolder/images/previews/Content.png,
layouts/yourSubFolder/images/previews/Content.png " />

              <Property Name="PublishingHidden" Value="False" />

              <Property Name="PublishingAssociatedContentType"
Value=";#Content
Page;#0x010100C568DB52D9D0A14D9B2FDCC96666E9F2007948130EC3DB064584E21995
4237AF390064DEA0F50FC8C147B0B6EA0636C4A7D400F1C975B0347C2A46B45663F506xx
xx22;#" />

<Property Name="ContentType" Value="Page Layout" />
</File>

  </Module>

</Elements>

Where I nicely use the file system (in the trusted
_layouts/yoursubfolder/ etc ..) and things work a treat. And have your
images in the 12 hive structure of your feature.
See if that solves it for you?

Kind Regards,

Wilson Wampers