I think I would persevere with making a variation on the 'Link to a Document'
Content Type.

If you take a site template, and import it into studio, you can see exactly how
the 'Link to a Document' content type works and what the columns are etc. and
more importantly how it links to the NewLink.aspx form.

Perhaps make your own content type similar to this, targeting your own ASPX
form deployed into the LAYOUTS directory.  You may need to build a custom field
with underlying type of URL that accepts the DocID and stores the link to
render in list view.

Cheers,
                J.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Elements xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/";>
                <ContentType ID="0x01010A" Name="Link to a Document"
Group="Document Content Types" Description="Create a link to a document in a
different location." Overwrite="TRUE"
FeatureId="{695b6570-a48b-4a8e-8ea5-26ea7fc1d162}"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/";>
                                <Folder TargetName="_cts/Link to a Document" />
                                <FieldRefs>
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{c042a256-787d-4a6f-8a8a-cf6ab767f12d}" Name="ContentType" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{5f47e085-2150-41dc-b661-442f3027f552}" Name="SelectFilename" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{8553196d-ec8d-4564-9861-3dbe931050c8}" Name="FileLeafRef" Required="TRUE"
/>
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{8c06beca-0777-48f7-91c7-6da68bc07b69}" Name="Created" Hidden="TRUE" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{28cf69c5-fa48-462a-b5cd-27b6f9d2bd5f}" Name="Modified" Hidden="TRUE" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{822c78e3-1ea9-4943-b449-57863ad33ca9}" Name="Modified_x0020_By"
Hidden="FALSE" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{4dd7e525-8d6b-4cb4-9d3e-44ee25f973eb}" Name="Created_x0020_By"
Hidden="FALSE" />
                                                <FieldRef
ID="{c29e077d-f466-4d8e-8bbe-72b66c5f205c}" Name="URL" Required="TRUE" />
                                </FieldRefs>
                                <DocumentTemplate
TargetName="/_layouts/NewLink.aspx" />
                                <XmlDocuments>