Simple recovery model will keep the Tx log small as it will essentially
truncate when a checkpoint occurs, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa173531(SQL.80).aspx .  But if it is
already large i.e. your 27GB you need to also run DBCC ShrinkDatabase after you
switch it.  That will reduce the file size to only the size needed for the
active part of the Tx log i.e. small. See

The other alternative rather than changing the recovery model (depending on you
backup process) is to implement a transaction log backup on a nightly/regular
basis in addition to a full backup.  This has the same effect of cleaning out
the inactive part of the log, then you can run DBCC ShrinkDatabase and keep the
file small.  Just remember that keeping it too small might cause it to autogrow
(depending on your settings) and consume the disk space again. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315512

The advantage of implementing a transaction log backup is you also get the
ability to have point in time restore operations. I.e. if the server dies you
can restore the transactions from the Full backup then apply the transaction
logs and basically get 99.999% of the data back (assuming you back up the tail
of the log before you start the recovery process).

Regards

Paul Turner
Practice Lead - SharePoint
SMS Management & Technology

M 0412 748 168
paul.tur...@smsmt.com<mailto:paul.tur...@smsmt.com>
www.smsmt.com<http://www.smsmt.com/>
About SMS: Innovation House, Technology Park, Mawson Lakes Boulevard, Mawson
Lakes SA 5095
SMS Management & Technology (SMS) [ASX:SMX] is Australia's largest publicly
listed Management Services company. We solve complex problems and transform
business through Consulting, Technology and Systems Integration
P please consider the environment before printing this email