Thanks Paul,

This turned out quite different, it was open  transaction which happened
during nightly backup which locked the database. So checkpoint was not
happening and auto truncate of log not happening as well.
Interesting thing that within 15 hours of locked/open transaction log grew
to 27 GB.

Got very good advise from the SqlDownUnder mailing list ppl.,

I appreciate your active help

Cheers