This looks tricky as stsadm - backup/restore is much more robust than
stsadm import.
In most cases when we had issue with export-import -- backup/restore has
worked well.

Can you do one quick test to validate if it's the data in site causing the
issue by creating a new OOTB site collection and just put it 1-2 documents
and items and see if that works.