In WPF you can do this in say your app.xaml or in a merged dictionary:

 <Application.Resources>
    <Style TargetType="Button">
      <Setter Property="Background" Value="Red"/>
    </Style>
  </Application.Resources>

And all buttons will be red unless the style is overridden.

This doesn't work in Silverlight 3.  You have to name the style then
reference it as a static resource:

 <Style TargetType="Button" x:Name="buttonStyle">
      <Setter Property="Background" Value="Red"/>
    </Style>

<Button Style="{StaticResource buttonStyle}"></Button>

Of course you can do this via the UI in Blend as well.

I think it might be possible to set implicit styles in Silverlight 4
but haven't tried.