Stephen, I own you a bottle of champagne, as you accidentally pointed out
what was wrong with my project.

Why was it using the file system???? I don't do that, I prefer to use HTTP
as it's more realistic. I didn't notice the file system path in the web
browser.

So sometime over the last couple of days, some configuration of my project
has changed, some defaults I dunno what, but by carefully putting all my
project settings back according to those of another working SL3 project it
has come good. VS has been crashing a lot, and I had to purge all the hidden
solution files recently, so that's probably broken my defaults.

So it couldn't load the images because I was running from the file system.
There's a warning for you!!

Greg