Shane is a mind-reader. I was looking for the control that auto-sizes its
contents in various ways, it's the ViewBox of course.

I'll wrap each child in a ViewBox. My parent <Grid> can have 4 x 4 cells,
and in normal display the top visible control will have row and col span 4
with Stretch=None.

In tiled mode I'll show all children in a specific cell with
Stretch=Uniform.

Half an hour later: My experiments show it's starting to work, but there are
some strange sizing behaviours like the Viewbox isn't filling the Grid. I'll
look at it in the morning with a fresh mind.

ADDENDUM: Jack, I received your message just before sending. 'Fluid Layout'
is something I'd forgotten about completely. I'd rather go to the dentist
than use Blend, but I'll try to figure out what it's doing behind the scenes
and see if I can steal the code for a snazzy transition.

Cheers,
Greg