I'm primarily thinking of a wifi office or internet cafe; can't
everybody sniff everybody else's traffic (including DNS requests)?  Does
this mean that every wifi network is vulnerable to this really easy
attack, and there's basically no defense other than upgrading all of DNS?

I guess I'm just late to party on realizing this.  Why doesn't this
happen more often?  I'd think every virus out there would be doing this,
if not to inject ads or whatever, but to just silently wait for anybody
to download any executable content and inject itself into the stream.

-david