Regarding contacting the patent office about a not-yet-issued
patent, you can also contact the inventors and/or their attorneys
directly, as they have a legal obligation to keep the patent office
informed of relevant prior art which has come to their attention:

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/matters/matters-9707.html

         You can grab the name and phone-# of the contact person at
Micrsoft's "Patent Group Docketing Dept." from the 28 Feb 2007
Declaration document at the PAIR website that Wes mentioned in his
post.

         In my experience, large companies have a strong financial
interest
to stop pursuing worthless patent applications as quickly as possible.
That is, while they can always ammend their claims with new restrictions
until *something* issues, that something might not be worth the effort.
The budgetary pressures of Microsoft's "Patent Group" will work in
your favor, in this case.

         Ironically ... one of the pieces of prior art cited against
this Microsoft
patent application is US patent #6,405,262, filed for in July of 1995.
Patent assignee ... Microsoft. :}

cheers,
Scott