LimeWire has 'friend' features that is basically gnutella + xmpp.  It
allows you to see a friend's files and download them.

We also built an impl based on facebook chat that enabled the same use
case, but that feature has been disabled.

See also Jingle:
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0166.html

Also:
http://socialvpn.wordpress.com/