I've seen many papers that present algorithms or bite-size pieces of the
puzzle if you wanted to develop a fully distributed social network, but
nothing that really presents the full picture.  If you google for federated
social network you might find more.  There were some different groups a
while back discussing something like an XMPP of social networking, although
it seems nothing has come out of that discussion so far.

-Jeff