Hi synx,

Recently I've also been thinking about different kinds of trust, and I
really like your idea of associating trust with a category. However, I
have a few concerns.

First, are we considering the common case? It's certainly possible that
someone might write wise words in category A and nonsense in category B,
but it seems to me that the urgent problem in newsgroup-like systems is
filtering out automated spam. Anything that makes that problem harder
while making it easier to make fine distinctions about humans is
probably a step in the wrong direction - I might prefer a blunt
instrument that says "never show me messages from this identity in any
category" to a sharp one that forces me to mark down the same spammer in
100 categories, just in case they said something useful in one of them.

Second, can we solve the problem of carrying over trust from one
category to another without an a priori hierarchy of categories? Maybe
we could use something like collaborative filtering to detect similar
categories - to the extent that my explicit trust ratings in category A
agree with my ratings in category B, use my ratings from A to assign
initial trust values to identities in category B, and vice versa? But to
the extent that such an approach reduces the number of explicit trust
ratings I need to make, it also reduces the information available for
detecting similarity between categories. Can we solve that problem
without feeding the estimated trust ratings back into the similarity
detector, which would seem likely to pull certain categories ever-closer
together?

Third, you mention the meta-category "recommending trustworthy people".
Is this actually a single category, or does the assumption that trust is
category-specific mean that I need to know who's good at recommending
trustworthy people in category A, category B, etc?

Cheers,
Michael