On 6/20/10 6:42 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> It's clear that PPTP has severe security weaknesses as a VPN, but what
> I'm wondering is why anyone thought that a VPN would provide anonymity.

There are several VPN providers who specifically advertise their
services for anonymity (e.g. Relakks, Ipredator).

I suspect PPTP is a red herring here; it's probably easy enough to
configure IPSec insecurely (e.g. only tunneling IPv4). Ultimately, it's
just too hard to secure any split-tunneling configuration, so a VPN
needs to be paired with a firewall that blocks any non-VPN traffic.

Wes Felter