On Dec 23, 2010, at 6:33 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 12/23/2010 10:00 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 09:45:58AM -0800, Alex Pankratov wrote:
>>
>>> Very good question. The bonus question is if the trigger
>>> was "external" and if it involved messing with the actual
>>> (decrypted) Skype protocol messages.
>> Any supernode compromises reported yet, or is this merely
>> a DoS?
>>
> http://blogs.skype.com/en/2010/12/another_status_update_skype_st.html
> (watch the video) confirms that the outage was caused by "a number of"
> clients crashing, and that the cause of that crash was not an external
> malicious attack.

I've build a skype supernode probe utility and it will be run here shortly this
evening. The intent is to determine exactly what versions of skype are offline
by "speaking skype" and asking them for their client software version. I'm
starting with the supernodes that ship within the obfuscated binary because
almost all of these crashed simultaneously from what I've seen in my own code
logs. I don't buy what the skype CEO is saying because first it was very many
supernodes not a few also these went offline all around the same time and never
came back up however if any are back online my utility will tell me.