On 12/22/2010 9:33 PM, Salman Abdul Baset wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Julian Cain wrote:
>
>> Here I display some of todays
>> work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpFIMlItrM
>>

> Cool stuff.
>
> My first guess at why Skype super node numbers are decreasing at this
> time of the year are that most Skype super nodes run in universities
> and it is the end of the academic semester. So students are shutting
> down their machines and Skype super nodes. Infact, it is safe to say
> that if the universities cracked down on Skype, there will not likely
> be enough super nodes to sustain the Skype network.
(From previous common knowledge and other published analysis)
Skype supernodes are all over the world, and not just at universities.
Also, like all similar p2p networks, the supernode requirements are
O(log n)... so if N students shut down their machines you only lose ~log
N supernodes (and simultaneously don't even need as many).

Matthew Kaufman