You're right.  I left out that atmospheric conditions have a random,
unpredictable and variable effect on propagation delay.  One of my sources
["Practical Packet Radio" by Stan Horzepa] mentioned that these propagation
delays needed to be taken into account when configuring your system(s) and
could cause unpredictable data loss.  I mistakenly (?) identified this as a
potential limit on transfer rate for these systems.

> There's lots of OFDM (and other) modes that can go much faster than
> this, they're just not in common use by folks who have legal limits on
> occupied bandwidth.

That's true, but I specifically mentioned the modes in use on HF where there
isn't much experimentation with those modes.  There doesn't even seem to be
much perceived need for experimentation on HF.

Most experimentation with the new modes is happening on UHF, where there are
the fewest restrictions.

Llew