Ya, but the overwhelming majority aren't.  I agree with Eugen that the
Freedom Box needs to be *at least* as easy to use as the cloud services
they're replacing.  I don't think that's impossible.

Like, take the Verizon mobile wifi hotspots.  It has no UI whatsoever.
You just turn it on, and the network name and WPA password is just
written on the bottom.  Incredibly easy and pretty secure for 99% of people.

I *suspect* there's some way for advanced users to actually configure
the network and password, and administer like you would any other wifi
router.  But they made the right decision of making the advanced
security features *optional*, and making the default "secure enough" for
normal people.

I think the Freedom Box should take a similar approach.  It should
arrive pre-configured with the wifi network name and network printed on
a (removable) sticker on the side.  The first browser to connect to it
should get a happy webpage explaining how it works and ask the fewest
possible configuration steps.  In fact, maybe the first time any new MAC
address connects to it, show a nice welcome page.

Then have a big "reset" button on the side that wipes the brick and
restores it to factory settings.  The wipe should be so thorough as to
make it literally impossible to know if anybody has ever used it.  This
is good for security, as well as for just fixing it when something goes
wrong.

-david