On Jun 12, 2011, at 5:26 PM, David Barrett wrote:

> For example, assuming we already had some sort of mesh network
> capability (via wifi or bluetooth or whatever), perhaps have nodes
> synchronize their clocks such that they only agree to send/receive
> according to some psuedorandom intervals?  Even more interesting if it
> combined GPS such that the broadcast periods could be derived from
> actual physical location.  So two nodes that have never communicated but
> know some shared secret (eg, a password) could check their positions and
> figure out "I don't know if anybody is around me, but if there *is*,
> they'll be online for 60s at 5:23pm."

I think all you need is something that can be turned on at specific times, to
get a message
out.  Then shut it off.   People will have their phones on, then all of a
sudden they get service, a
text message or two, after which the service promptly drops again.  A station
only needs to be
on long enough to get the message out.  A small portable unit could be in a car
or on a roof,
or it could sit next to your table in a bag as you sit and drink or eat.  Or
while you walk down the
street.  I don't think broadcasts need to be scheduled; simply turn it on when
you have
something to forward.

So it's about creating a simple, cheap, lightweight station that can look like
a 'real' mobile
network, allowing phones to connect and that can send text messages.  To
distribute a message
to a large number of people you'd have a topology where operators receive
messages like
anyone else and propagate it.  It doesn't seem anything terribly complicated is
needed, or
even desirable.

I think the main challenge is how to prevent a regime from hijacking the
network.  This will
probably require an organized structure with isolation, redundancy, a
revocation protocol,
and careful safeguarding at the top.  For instance, if operator A propagates
messages from
B or C, then B or C might be redundant.  If C0 is compromised C1 is activates,
and starts by
notifying A of the compromise.  (C2 is then activated if C1 is compromised.)
Some sort of
cryptographic protection is probably necessary to prevent regimes from simply
creating their
own stations.

But I think security is a pretty minor point - just getting messages out while
making everyone
aware of the possibility of compromise is probably good enough.