So I'm a big fan of Bitcoin. A lot of people see the value in it, enough to
sink a lot of money and time into buying hardware and building systems to
sign the block chain. I haven't actually purchased any bitcoins yet or even
managed to mine any, but clearly it's something people are enthusiastic
about.

I've also been playing around with Tahoe, and was thinking that if you had a
system like Tahoe with maybe a few tweaks here and there, it could scale
into a massive, cryptographically secure distributed media archive, with
enough compelling content that people will host it in exchange for read
access, and perhaps maintained by a small group of trusted and diligent
curators with write access. In the meantime, it could also provide the same
goals as Freenet/GNUnet as a secure platform for anonymously disseminating
information in a cryptographically secure manner.

There's a few things missing from Tahoe which I have seen endlessly
discussed which would need to be added for it to fill this role. The first
would be a way for peers to weight themselves in terms of their available
storage capacity. Perhaps Tahoe could utilize a self-assigned weight score?

The second would be a sort of "you get what you give" model when storing
content. I think this plays out in two different ways: reading content and
storing content. BitTorrent has done a good job of ensuring fair access to
content in terms of uploaded content in exchange for downloaded content. In
addition to that, I think this needs to apply to data storage too: in order
to store data on the network, you must contribute storage space.

Mea culpa if I have overlooked guarantees Tahoe already provides in this
regard, but I think if the technology held people in check, what's keeping
it from hosting a large content archive which would scale to a globally
massive nework?

To bring things back around to the BitCoin analogy: if there were a
compelling enough media archive available via a peer-to-peer system like
Tahoe which enforced access to both content and storage capacity available
on a get-what-you-give model, don't you think people would be willing to
make available their excess bandwidth and storage capacity in order to gain
access to it and also the ability to cryptographically store and anonymously
distribute data?

--
Tony Arcieri