On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Sean Lynch <se...@literati.org> wrote:

> If you store content you're interested in, this actually provides a fairly
> good property: a piece of content's availability is proportional to its
> popularity.

Yes! That said...

I think it's OK to also store content your friends are interested in to
> improve availability, but I'm standing firm on my claim that requiring
> people to store content they don't care about, at least a large amount of it
> (versus, say, a DHT that only has metadata, which people are obviously
> willing to do because it's how Bittorrent works nowadays), is a dealbreaker.

I'd contend people already store and seed content they don't care about on
private BitTorrent trackers, because the rules of these trackers incentivise
them to do so. A new member on a private tracker might download the most
popular file on that tracker at a given time, because its popularity will
ensure there is demand for seeders to provide it, and seeding boosts their
ratio. They may have no interest in this particular file, but store and seed
it exclusively to boost their ratio on a given tracker.

--
Tony Arcieri