Serguei Osokine wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 21, 2006 Oskar Sandberg wrote:
>
>>No theory. Your best bet is to simulate and see.
>

>       I seem to recall that you had a link to your simulations source
> code somewhere in the previous mails, but I could not find it when
> I looked. Is it a confabulation and there was no link, or I simply
> missed it when looking?

I will try to clean up the code and post a simulator some time, but it
is a very simple algorithm so you are probably just as well off
implementing it yourself.

>       Sorry to be such a pest, but I'm still trying to come to terms
> with this phase transition thing at 1M and degree of 20. Intuitively
> I have this feeling that the graph with this constant outdegree should
> not disintegrate into unconnected pieces no matter what's its size,
> and that phase transition should happen only if the links are truly
> random and the outdegree of some nodes can be zero (or close to it)
> as a result. Then sure, these nodes are simply not connected to anyone
> and their queries all fail. I simply cannot picture the graph where
> every node carefully monitors the number of its links, never allowing
> their number to drop below 20, and the graph still breaks into many
> components - the intuitive feeling is that as every node maintains
> these 20 links, the probability of at least one of them leading to
> the giant component should be very close to 1, and as we are adding
> nodes, this should still remain the case, so all nodes should stay
> clustered together.

(a) I didn't say that the network ends up completely disconnected. Only
that it is not sufficiently connected for routing to work. There being a
 path between to nodes is not the same as greedy routing finding one in
a reasonable amount of time.

(b) Seen as random graph, the resulting network is very complicated and
rife with dependencies among the edges etc. You can definitely end up
with negative feedback loops because a node not being reachable from one
"region" of the network will not become the destination of any shortcuts
from that region, etc.

// oskar